Nobody ever said that life was easy! However, one thing that’s certain is that every moment you’re feeling down is an opportunity to learn and grow stronger for the future. These words of encouragement for depression can help you remember that so that the darker days suddenly don’t feel so bad.
Words of Encouragement for Depression
These are some positive and encouraging words for anyone who has ever struggled with depression. Whether you’re presently fighting depression or taking care of a loved one who is feeling sad, these quotes can help inspire positivity.
Long & Thoughtful Quotes About Depression
- “Getting better from depression demands a lifelong commitment. I’ve made that commitment for my life’s sake and for the sake of those who love me.” —Susan Polis Schutz
- “A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear [that results] from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl.” —Stephan Hoeller
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” —Helen Keller
- “Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it.” —Fyodor Dostoevsky
- “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.” – Hermann Hesse
Quick, Inspiring Words of Encouragement
- “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain.” – Vivian Greene
- “Once you choose hope, anything is possible.” —Christopher Reeve
- “What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.” – Richard Bach
- “Keep yourself busy if you want to avoid depression. For me, inactivity is the enemy.” —Matt Lucas
- “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” —Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.” —Madeleine L’Engle
- “There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind.” —C.S. Lewis
- “The greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion. The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.” —Tenzin Gyatso
Pretty much everyone experiences depression at some point during their lives. However, most of them manage to make it to the other side with some new wisdom and knowledge.
These quotes are a collection of some of that hard-earned knowledge. If you’re interested in learning a bit more about how to improve your life and feel happy, check out these quotes to put some pep in your step.
Or if you’d rather tackle your sadness from a philosophical perspective, check out these legendary Confucius quotes to help you think.