The military has it tough, and our veterans are some of the strongest people in our ranks. It’s important to remember their sacrifices, and one of the best ways to remember all that they’ve done for us is by reading some of these US army quotes.
Spoken by prolific generals, soldiers, and wartime philosophers, these quotes remind us of both the strength and tragedy of war.
Inspiring US Army Quotes
Short US Army Quotes & One-Liners
- “They’ve got us surrounded again, the poor bastards.” – Gen. Creighton Abrams
- “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” – Richard Grenier
- “I just wanted to do something to support those young people.” -Matthew Niblack, Vietnam Veteran
- “Discipline is the soul of an army.” – George Washington
- “It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.” – Zell Miller
- “The sergeant is the Army.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “My answer is bring ’em on.” – President George W. Bush
- “So far, I’ve spent my entire adult life fighting.” – James Coleman, U.S. Army sergeant
- “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” – Colin Powell
- “What can we do to support the troops? Give them a nation that is worthy of protection.” – Unknown
Inspiring US Army Quotes
- “The soldier is the Army. No army is better than its soldiers. The soldier is also a citizen. In fact, the highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms for one’s country.” – Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
- “I’d learned a lot in the Army. I knew that above all things in the world I had to become so big, so strong that people and their hatred could never touch me.” – Sammy Davis, Jr.
- “The most striking thing I have seen throughout my almost four years of service are the NCOs who are willing to do anything for their soldiers. … It’s amazing to have and know people who are willing to go out of their way for you.” – Stephanie Schneider, Afghanistan veteran
- “I can at least go out and defend my country and do something honorable as a father. Show my son something good.”- Joshua Hernandez
- “No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.” – Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
- “There were only a handful of Americans there but they fought like wildmen.” – Antone Fuhrmann
- “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – Norman Schwarzkopf
Military service is one of the most difficult duties that one can perform for their country. These quotes remind us of the intense services performed by our US army veterans.
If you haven’t heard enough, we’ve got more. This page will show you another handful of quotes from prolific US Army veterans and generals. Or, if you know some veterans who have returned home and are having a hard time readjusting, these quotes on good living can help inspire them to find happiness again.