Emotional eating is often a stress response, which means that it’s actually a sort of coping mechanism. Coping mechanisms are how we manage the difficult times in our lives. That being the case, stress eating can be very difficult to stop. These emotional eating quotes will help you understand and overcome your habit.
These quotes come from people who have struggled with and overcome their own problems with emotional eating. In other words, these are some words of advice that you can trust.
The Best Emotional Eating Quotes
Anyone hoping to overcome the struggle of emotional eating should check out these quotes.
Emotional Eating Encouragement Quotes
- “The thing that is really hard and really amazing is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.” – Anna Quindlen
- “It’s not that I can’t eat burgers, fries, candy, all that stuff. I’m simply making the healthier choice not to. And it’s not that I don’t want to. It’s just that something switched inside me, and now I prefer to eat food which doesn’t come with potential health issues.” – Karen Salmansohn, The DO IT Program
- “Every day brings a choice: To practice stress or to practice peace.” – Joan Borysenko
- “Addictions occur when you seek to fill an emptiness inside you with something outside of you.” – Karen Salmansohn
- “What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “We overeat, not because we enjoy food too much – it is because we don’t enjoy it enough.” – Charles Eisenstein
Quotes to Stop Emotional Eating
- “Don’t let your mind bully your body into believing it must carry the burden of its worries.” – Astrid Alauda
- “What you’re supposed to do when you don’t like a thing is change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.” – Maya Angelou
- “Food can distract you from your pain, but food cannot take away your pain. In fact, overeating the wrong foods can create more pain.” – Karen Salmanohn
- “Most of us spend our lives protecting ourselves from losses that have already happened.” – Geneen Roth
- “The pause, even simply a breath, taken between hunger and eating, is the first step toward taking control.” – Melissa McCreery
- “The truth is that stress doesn’t come from your boss, your kids, your spouse, traffic jams, health challenges, or other circumstances. It comes from your thoughts about your circumstances.” – Andrew Bernstein
- “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” – Jim Rohn
Anyone who has struggled with emotional eating knows how much of a rollercoaster ride it can be. Emotional eating is tough and often causes more problems than it solves.
Hopefully these emotional eating quotes have helped to clear up any confusion that you might have had about your struggle.
You might want to check out these quotes on overcoming depression, since the two conditions are often associated. Or, remembering that emotional eating is a form of addiction, you might find that these quotes on overcoming addiction are just as helpful as these were.