Whether you’re an aspiring Buddhist or a well-seasoned practitioner, there’s always more to learn. As with any spiritual practice, the Buddhist wisdom is meant to be studied time and time again. That’s why we’ve compiled this collection of Buddhism quotes to help propel you further down your spiritual path.
Most of these quotes were allegedly spoken by the legendary Gautama Buddha himself. Others may just be recollections of wisdom and experience spoken by Buddhist practitioners. In either case, these quotes are worthy of your time and can help you find peace and joy.
Some of the Best Buddhism Quotes
Short Quotes from Gautama Buddha
- “Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.”
- “People with opinions just go around bothering each other.”
- “Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.”
- “There is no fear for one whose mind is not filled with desires.”
- “Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.”
- “If anything is worth doing, do it with all your heart.”
Inspirational Buddhist Quotes to Propel You Toward Enlightenment
- “Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self.”
- “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”
- “To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one’s own in the midst of abundance.”
- “If one speaks or acts with a pure mind, happiness follows him like a shadow that never leaves him.”
- “As a mountain of rock is unshaken by wind, so also, the wise are unperturbed by blame or by praise.”
- “Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.”
- “It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.”
Longer & Insightful Buddhism Quotes
- “If you knew what I know about the power of giving, you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.”
- “A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.”
- “Conquer the angry one by not getting angry; conquer the wicked by goodness; conquer the stingy by generosity, and the liar by speaking the truth.”
- “The foolish and the ignorant give themselves over to negligence; whereas the wise treasure mindfulness as a precious jewel.”
- “That deed is not well done, if one has to repent for having done it, and if, with a tearful face, one has to weep as a result of that deed.”
Buddhism is popular for a number of reasons. It is a source of timeless wisdom that helps people find self-confidence and assurance in a confusing world. It is also one of the greatest spiritual practices on the world that teaches peace as the ultimate truth.
Speaking of peace, check out these heartwarming and inspirational peace quotes to encourage happiness. Or, if you’re looking for a different twist on some Eastern philosophy, check out this list of fantastic Confucius quotes.