As a struggling drug user, life can be tough. One of the hardest parts of recovery is the feeling of loneliness. It can be hard to remember that there are others like you who have faced the same struggle.Fortunately, there are many people who have survived the struggle. Many of them have gone on to work in the field of addiction recovery and have offered up some inspirational quotes for recovering drug addicts.
These quotes often summarize some of the most important key components of recovery, and keeping a list of them on hand can help you on your path to sobriety. When Lao Tzu said, “Great acts are made up of small deeds,” he may not have been referring specifically to addiction – but his quote remains relevant and important. Even the smallest step towards recovery can lead to powerful results.
Most Inspirational Quotes for Recovering Drug Addicts
- “Addiction begins with the hope that something ‘out there’ can instantly fill up the emptiness inside.” — Jean Kilbourne’s quote reminds us that we can find fulfillment without drugs if we put in the work.
- “Addiction is the only prison where the locks are on the inside.” — Unknown
- “Quitting smoking is easy. I’ve done it a hundred times.” — Mark Twain, here, reminds us that addiction is a lifelong battle
- “It is not I who became addicted. It is my body.” — Jean Cocteau reminds us that the mind is always stronger than the body.
- “It was the hardest boyfriend I ever had to break up with.” — Fergie captures the difficulty of addiction which creates an all-powerful relationship – not with a person, but a substance.
- “Drugs take you to hell, disguised as heaven.” — Donald Lyn Frost
- “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” — Chinese Proverb, in this case, reminding us that it’s never too late to start our recovery.
- “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” — Japanese Proverb
- “If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.” — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- “Even in the midst of devastation something within us always points the way to freedom.” – Sharon Salzberg
- “There is no shame in beginning again, for you to get a chance to build bigger and better than before.” — Unknown
- “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” — Henry Ford’s famous quote reminds us that addiction, in some ways, is a frame of mind. Believing that you can’t quit makes you stop trying to quote. Believing that you can means nothing can stop you.
- “Nothing is impossible; the word itself says, ‘I’m possible!’” — Audrey Hepburn
- “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” — Muhammad Ali
- “One step at a time. One day at a time. One hour at a time.” — Unknown
- “I am not defined by my relapses, but in my decision to remain in recovery despite them.” — Unknown
As you can see, even from these quotes, addiction is a difficult beast to conquer. Nonetheless, millions of people have overcome their addictions – and so can you. If you have lost someone to addiction, these inspirational quotes about death may help.