Being witty doesn't necessarily mean being mean to someone. Many times, people have this notion that if you say something witty or out of the ordinary, it can be considered as making people feel less of themselves. However, there are moments in life where your sharpness and skill to manipulate words to worn in your favor can payoff. We all know why would someone have the need to be witty or use funny quotes and/or sayings , to verbally show someone who they really are without actually having to use the literal words.
But at times, it can be difficult to come up with something on your own, that too in a short span of time (seconds). What then? It's not like someone is going to hand you a big book of witty comments or something. And it sure would be great to know some witty comments and phrases that are really popular and well-known. That way, when you do need them, you can remember it quickly and use them at your discretion. Want some amazing comebacks that will keep you in the game of wordplay? Then keep reading.
Amusing Quotes and Sayings
There are instances in life when a particular person has the power to make your life miserable. Well, don't just stand there and let him/her. Take charge and make sure that no one, absolutely no one can make you feel short (not literally). These sharp, witty quotes will give you the strength to say something exactly at the moment you wish to say them. Try some of these famous quotes next time.
Intelligent, Yet Funny Quotes about Life
- I get bored easily. I've been bored most of my life. ~ John Cleese
- Is life worth living? It all depends on the liver. ~ William James
- I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it. ~ Groucho Marx
- There are three faithful friends, an old wife, an old dog, and ready money. ~ Benjamin Franklin
- Age is mostly a matter of mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. ~ Mark Twain
- At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual. ~ Patrick Moore
- I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. ~ Rita Rudner
- It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. ~ Mark Twain
- Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. ~ Jim Morrison
- I never made a mistake in my life; at least, never one that I couldn't explain away afterwards. ~ Immanuel Kant
Brilliant Quotes about Love
- Never go to bed mad...stay up and fight. ~ Phyllis Diller
- Love is like war: Easy to begin but hard to end. ~ Anonymous
- If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question? ~ Lily Tomlin
- To be in love is merely to be in a state of perceptual anesthesia. ~ H. L. Mencken
- Once you have loved someone, you'd do anything in the world for them... except love them again. ~ Anonymous
- Three things can't be hidden: coughing, poverty, and love. ~ Yiddish Proverb
- Before I met my husband, I'd never fallen in love. I'd stepped in it a few times. ~ Rita Rudner
- Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species. ~ W. Somerset Maugham
- I just broke up with someone and the last thing she said to me was "You'll never find anyone like me again!" I'm thinking, "I should hope not! If I don't want you, why would I want someone like you?" ~ Anonymous
- How absurd and delicious it is to be in love with somebody younger than yourself. Everybody should try it. ~ Barbara Pym
Short Humorous Quotes
When life gives you lemons...
- ask for the receipt
- sell the lemons on eBay
- ask for salt, tequila, and a shot glass!
- find someone with a paper cut
- alter their DNA and make GIANT lemons
- make orange juice with them, and think how the heck you did it after all
- suck out all the vitamin C and yell "Eat That, Life"
- just keep quiet and eat the stupid lemons
- take them and when no one is looking, throw them through someone's window and run as fast as you can
- make sure to write a "Thank you" note for them. Emails can be a bit too impersonal.
Now, weren't these witty comebacks just the best? Although we have spoken about the fact that these comments, quotes, and comebacks don't necessarily describe meanness to someone, it doesn't hurt to be a bit more careful. I hope these quotes about life and love gave you a good laugh (or at least a smile on your face).